Chinese artist Ai Weiwei claims that he has been placed under house arrest to stop him organising a demolition party to observe the destruction of his studio.
Chinese artist Ai Weiwei says he has been placed under house arrest to prevent him holding a party to mark the destruction of his Shanghai studio.
- A court in Beijing intends to hear artist and dissident Ai Weiwei, held and gagged on charges of tax evasion by the People's Republic of China.
- Chinese artist and dissident Ai Weiwei is freed on bail. Under the terms of his bail agreement, he is not permitted to disclose the reason for his arrest and detention.
- Art exhibit of Chinese dissident, Ai Weiwei, jailed by the Chinese government last month for unspecified "economic crimes," opens in New York City.
- The Chinese state-run "Global Times" newspaper dismisses international criticism over the arrest of artist Ai Weiwei.
- The People's Republic of China detains Ai Weiwei, a leading artist and dissident, as part of a crackdown on dissenting views.