The Government of Norway demands an explanation from the US Government on reports that the US embassy in Oslo conducted illegal surveillance on Norwegian citizens for more than ten years.
- Norwegian politician Erik Solheim announces that the Government of Sri Lanka and the Tamil Tigers have agreed to hold "unconditional peace talks" in October in Oslo. The Sri Lankan government denies ever agreeing to talks without conditions, and criticizes the Government of Norway for violating Sri Lankan sovereignty.
- Colombian president Juan Manuel Santos receives his award in Oslo, Norway.
- Oslo's city council announces plans to ban cars from the Norwegian capital's central city by 2019.
- The United States Government announces that 106,185 people signed up for health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace as part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act during its first month of release on October.
- Leaders of the European Union accept the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, Norway.