An Aero Caribbean passenger plane crashes in the central Cuban province of Sancti Spritus, killing all 68 on board.
A Cuban passenger plane crashes in the centre of the country killing all 68 people on board, including 28 foreigners, officials say.
- BBC (Image)
- Aero Caribbean Flight 883 crashes in central Cuba, killing all 68 people on board.
- The United States issues a health alert in China, following a government employee reporting "abnormal sensations of sound and pressure", one in a range of physical symptoms, from late 2017 through to April 2018. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the State Department is moving medical teams into place in Guangzhou, adding that the incident was "entirely consistent" with reported "sonic attacks" in Cuba in 2016 and 2017.
- A Boeing 737 crashes shortly after taking off from Havana, Cuba, with 104 passengers and nine crew on board. Only three people are reported to have survived the crash. One survivor later dies from her injuries.
- Miguel Diaz-Canel is named the new President of Cuba. It is the first time in six decades that a Castro family member is not leading Cuba.
- Cuban president Raul Castro prepares to step down as Miguel Diaz-Canel is elected as his successor. This marks the first time since the Cuban Revolution that the country is not led by a member of the Castro family.