A Peruvian judge orders that United States born militant Lori Berenson be released from prison in Lima.
- AP via ''The News Tribune
- A Peruvian court revokes the parole of Lori Berenson, a United States citizen convicted in the 1990s of collaborating with the Túpac Amaru Revolutionary Movement.
- Speaking in Lima's "El Comercio" in response to some ironic quotes by Peruvian President Alan García, Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez says his country will continue to export oil to the United States because it is "in interest".
- A meeting is held in Lima attended by representatives from Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, and Brazil, to develop requests for aid in regards to Venezuelan immigrants, which will be sent to organisations including the United Nations and International Red Cross. Yesterday, there was a similar meeting in Bogotá. A larger meeting has been set-up to be held in Quito in early September, to be attended by representatives from 14 countries and 10 international organisations.
- In Lima, Peru, a 36-year-old man gets on a public transport bus and sets fire to the passengers, after spraying them with gasoline, leaving 10 people injured. The most affected, a 22-year-old young woman, was seriously injured and believed to be the target of the attack.
- Heads of state and government from across the Americas meet in Lima, Peru, for the Eighth Summit of the Americas.