More than fifty inmates at the Moorlands Young Offenders Institution in South Yorkshire, England, riot for the second successive night.
- Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield commenced operation in South Yorkshire in the north of England.
- An explosion destroys a store and a house, causing at least five deaths on Hinckley Road in Leicester, England. The cause of the explosion and subsequent fire is unknown.
- A fire consumes a multi-story parking garage in Liverpool, England, destroying about 1,400 cars parked there, most for an international horse show in the adjacent Liverpool Echo Arena. No injuries are reported, and all horses and pet dogs were moved to safety.
- Six people are killed in a multiple-vehicle collision in Birmingham, England.
- Storm Brian, the third windstorm of the season, causes severe flash flooding in Ireland and coastal flooding in parts of England and Wales, although disruption is not as severe as initially expected.