At least sixteen people are dead and fifteen missing following mudslides in Costa Rica caused by heavy rains.
- Kellogg's issues a voluntary recall of Honey Smacks amid fears of salmonella contamination, with affected areas including the United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, and some parts of French Polynesia.
- South Korea signs free trade agreements with the Central American countries of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama to eliminate duties on about 95% of traded goods and services.
- Twelve people, including all 10 American passengers, are killed when their single-propeller plane crashes in a mountainous area near Punta Islita, in Guanacaste Province, Costa Rica. The pilot was former President Laura Chinchilla's cousin.
- Costa Rica is hit by a 6.5 magnitude earthquake at Jaco near the capital San Jose. No immediate reports of casualties or damage.
- In Nicaragua, flooding from Tropical Storm Nate, kills at least fifteen people. In Costa Rica, the storm kills at least seven people with fifteen missing.