United States Secretary of Defense Robert Gates urges the United States Senate to abolish "don't ask don't tell" for gays and lesbians serving in the US military and releases a report showing that ending the policy would have little impact.
- Reuters (Image)
- The United States Senate confirms Robert Gates as the next United States Secretary of Defense by 95-2. Gates will be sworn in on December 18.
- Chuck Hagel is confirmed by the Senate as the United States Secretary of Defense.
- Leon Panetta is sworn in as the new United States Secretary of Defense, succeeding Robert Gates.
- Robert Gates, the United States Secretary of Defense, arrives in Afghanistan to meet with the President of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai.
- United States Secretary of Defense Robert Gates flies to China for a four-day trip after expressing American worries that the Chinese "clearly have potential to put some of our [military] capabilities at risk", adding that America has "to pay attention to them" and "respond appropriately with our own programmes".