The United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP-16) opens in the Mexican resort city of Cancun.
- Delegates at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Cancun, Mexico, agree to a compromise on slowing climate change, though overall failing to reach a "deal that many activists and governments want."
- Environment ministers from the G4 bloc (IBSA Dialogue Forum & China) meet in New Delhi, India, to agree a common position ahead of future climate change talks, such as the 2010 United Nations Climate Change Conference ("COP-16") at Cancn, Mexico, to be held from 29 November 2010 to 10 December 2010
- United Nations negotiators produce an early draft on an agreement to be put to a conference on climate change in Paris in December.
- Gunmen storm a bar in Cancun, Mexico, and kill 7 people, also 4 others were wounded in the attack. The authorities allege that the victims were part of a taxi union.
- The US' 15th most wanted fugitive, Vincent Walters, is apprehended in Cancun, Mexico.