The United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP-16) opens in the Mexican resort city of Cancun.
- Delegates at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Cancun, Mexico, agree to a compromise on slowing climate change, though overall failing to reach a "deal that many activists and governments want."
- Gunmen storm a bar in Cancun, Mexico, and kill 7 people, also 4 others were wounded in the attack. The authorities allege that the victims were part of a taxi union.
- The US' 15th most wanted fugitive, Vincent Walters, is apprehended in Cancun, Mexico.
- Residents in the Mexican city of Cancun brace for Hurricane Rina, which is expected to make landfall on Thursday.
- Carbon emissions from energy use reached a record level in 2010, up 5% from the previous record in 2008, according to the International Energy Agency, which said it was a "serious setback" to limit global temperature increase to 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 F), set at the U.N. climate change talks in Cancun, Mexico, last year.