An inquiry is ordered over the death of an immigrant in France, who was tear gassed, batoned, and twice tasered during an incident which left four police injured.
An immigrant from Mali in West Africa has died after French police shot him twice with a Taser electric stun gun during a fracas, officials say.
- Greek protests against government cuts:Barriers, batons and tear gas are in use as hundreds of riot police engage with demonstrators around the Greek parliament building over the government cuts.
- Police use tear gas and batons on people protesting against their government in Maldives.
- Police baton and tear gas people protesting on a highway in Dhaka, arresting dozens.
- Police beat with batons and shoot tear gas at student protesters in the Sudanese state of Sennar in demonstrations inspired by the uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt.
- 2011 Bahraini protests:Bahrain police launch an attack on protesters in the Pearl Roundabout in the capital Manama, using tear gas and batons to disperse the crowd.
- Police use batons, pepper spray, tear gas and water cannon to disrupt activists expressing concern about the safety of a temporary warehouse in Gorleben where nuclear waste is being transported via train from France to Germany. It is thought to be the largest such mobilisation ever.
- At least 50 people are injured in Dhaka as police use batons and tear gas to beat back civilians protesting against frequent power outage.
- Amtrak Police taser a man at New York's Penn Station after the man allegedly became agitated due to a delayed train. Bystanders, falsely believing a shooting had occurred, caused a stampede, injuring more than a dozen people.
- Protesters in Brazil hold a violent demonstration against a proposed public spending cap in the capital Brasilia. Police used tear gas and rubber bullets in order to disperse the demonstrators.
- Former English Premier League player Dalian Atkinson dies after being tasered by police in Telford, Shropshire.