U.S. Border Patrol
The United States Border Patrol finds a sophisticated tunnel between Tijuana in Mexico and Otay Mesa, California, used by drug smugglers.
- Cross Border Xpress, a privately owned and operated airport terminal located in the Otay Mesa suburb of San Diego, California, United States, will open tomorrow with a connecting walkway to Tijuana International Airport in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico. This facility, the final step of a project first proposed in the early 1990s, will be just the second cross-border airport in the world. U.S. Customs will operate a checkpoint on the bridge for those entering the country.
- Janet Napolitano, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security, rolls out the Obama administration's strategy to curb drug smuggling on the Mexican border.
- Thieves tapping a Pemex oil pipeline cause a diesel fuel spill south of Tijuana in Mexico.
- Mexican gunmen burst into a drug rehabilitation centre in eastern Tijuana, killing thirteen people.
- Police find nine more dead bodies around the Mexican city of Tijuana with 50 people having died over the past week as a result of a week of drug trade related violence.