A new round of talks is scheduled to attempt to break an impasse in the dispute over the Western Sahara territory, the UN says.
- BBC (Image)
- Morocco and the Polisario Front agree to United Nations sponsored talks about the future of Western Sahara.
- Iran's judiciary executes three Iranian Kurdish prisoners, including Ramin Panahi, for terrorism offences. Two United Nations special rapporteurs condemn the executions and Amnesty International alleges their trials were unfair, due to the denial of legal counsel and confessions obtained through torture.
- The United Nations reports that a ceasefire has been agreed upon by non-governmental militias fighting in Tripoli.
- The Constitutional Court of Guatemala annuls the decision of President Jimmy Morales to prevent the entrance to Guatemala to the head of the International Commission against Impunity in Guatemala Ivn Velsquez Gmez. In the resolution, President Morales is forced to exhaust the dialogue with the United Nations.
- A meeting is held in Lima attended by representatives from Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, and Brazil, to develop requests for aid in regards to Venezuelan immigrants, which will be sent to organisations including the United Nations and International Red Cross. Yesterday, there was a similar meeting in Bogota. A larger meeting has been set-up to be held in Quito in early September, to be attended by representatives from 14 countries and 10 international organisations.