San Francisco passes a law banning McDonald's from giving free children's toys with unhealthy food.
San Francisco has become the first major U.S. city to pass a law that cracks down on the popular practice of giving away free toys with unhealthy restaurant meals for children.
- United Airlines Flight 1175 traveling to Honolulu from San Francisco lands safely at Honolulu International Airport, Hawaii, after the pilots call for an emergency landing because of a loss of the engine cowling.
- Refuse Fascism holds protests against U.S. President Donald Trump in several major cities, including New York City, Chicago, and San Francisco.
- Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, a suspect in a 2015 shooting in San Francisco, is acquitted of murder charges and found guilty of being a felon in possession of a firearm.
- The United States State Department orders Russia to close the Consulate-General in San Francisco and two other buildings by September 2, 2017, invoking "parity" over a Russian measure in July.
- Workers at two British McDonald's restaurants overwhelmingly vote to authorize a strike over working conditions and the use of zero-hour contracts, which would be the first such labor action against the fast-food chain in the U.K.