Somali-born teenager Mohamed Osman Mohamud is arrested in Portland, Oregon, for allegedly plotting a bombing attack on a Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
A Somali-born US teenager is arrested in the state of Oregon after allegedly plotting to bomb a Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
- The police in the US city of Portland, Oregon close down the Occupy Portland site resulting in 50 arrests.
- Two trains collide near US Highway 30 near the US city of Portland, Oregon, causing a fire and necessitating the evacuation of nearby residents.
- A gunman kills two people and injures seven others in Portland, Oregon, before shooting and critically wounding himself.
- The United States Green Party, in a rebuff to Ralph Nader, nominates Texas lawyer David Cobb as their candidate for President of the United States. This means that Nader will need to attain ballot access on his own in over 23 states, instead of being able to be placed on the ballots automatically as the Green Party candidate. Nader has announced that he may attempt to gain access as the Reform Party candidate. [http:--www.progress.org-2004-greenp28.htm (The Progress Report)] Ralph Nader holds a second convention in Portland to put his name on the presidential ballot in Oregon. This attempt is supported by conservative groups who hope his name will draw votes in this swing state from Democratic hopeful John Kerry. [http:--www.oregonlive.com-news-oregonian-index.ssf?-base-front_page-108816503613780.xml (Portland Oregonian)] The outcome of the convention is still unknown: 943 forms were collected, but 1000 valid signatures are needed; many forms had more than one signature on them, however, the state elections board will require several weeks to validate all of the signatures.
- The United States launches airstrikes against Islamic State in Somalia for the first time. The United States Africa Command says "several terrorists" were killed in the strikes, which took place in coordination with Somalia's government.