A senior United Nations official, Vijay Nambiar, meets with Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi in Yangon.
Myanmar pro-democracy leader holds talks with UN special representative after her recent release from house arrest.
- Al Jazeera
- The Irrawaddy
- Aung San Suu Kyi, the leader of the National League for Democracy opposition party in Burma and MP for Kawhmu, leaves Yangon for Bangkok, Thailand on her first overseas trip in 22 years.
- Thousands of cheering supporters greet Burmese democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi outside the headquarters of the National League for Democracy in Yangon.
- The United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon is denied access to meet detained National League for Democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi while on a visit to Burma.
- Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak leads a protest rally against the persecution of Myanmar's Muslim Rohingya minority in the predominately Buddhist country, and calls on Myanmar State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi and the United Nations to address the Rohingya's plight and end the violence. Myanmar's president's office said the rally is timed for Malaysian political purposes, and that Malaysia should respect the Association of Southeast Asian Nations's principle on sovereignty.
- Thirteen children are killed in a fire at a mosque in Yangon, Burma.