- AP via MSN
- Effective midnight, Washington, D.C. joins Alaska, Colorado, and Washington state as the only places in the United States that locally purport to override federal law and allow the use of marijuana for recreational purposes.
- Twenty-three people allegedly linked to the Mexican Los Zetas Cartel are indicted in the US state of Colorado for allegedly trying to smuggle marijuana in the United States.
- A gunman kills three people and injures two others at the Fifth Third Bank headquarters in Cincinnati, United States, before police fatally shoot him.
- Tropical Storm Gordon makes landfall near the Alabama-Mississippi border in the United States. One death is reported.
- Eight people are killed in a head-on crash near Florence, Arizona, United States, after a car strikes an SUV.