A third explosion within a week occurs at the Pike River Mine on the South Island of New Zealand, where 29 men are presumed dead.
There has been a third explosion at the Pike River coal mine in New Zealand, where 29 men are presumed dead underground.
- ABC Australia
- Receivers of the Pike River Mine on the South Island of New Zealand lay off 114 workers following the closure of the mine after the Pike River Mine disaster.
- The New Zealand Royal Commission on the Pike River Mine disaster hears that a collapse in the coal extraction area was the most likely cause of the fatal blast in the mine on November 19, 2010 that claimed 29 lives.
- Twenty-nine coal miners and officials are feared trapped following an explosion at the Pike River Coal Processing Plant at Atarau in the Grey District of the South Island of New Zealand.
- Volunteers are working to save the remaining live pilot whales beached at Farewell Spit on New Zealand's South Island. Project Jonah reports that 75 percent of the more than 400 stranded whales are dead.
- A 6.4 magnitude earthquake occurs near the town of Kaikoura on the South Island of New Zealand.