Pike River Mine disaster
A third explosion within a week occurs at the Pike River Mine on the South Island of New Zealand, where 29 men are presumed dead.
There has been a third explosion at the Pike River coal mine in New Zealand, where 29 men are presumed dead underground.
- ABC Australia
- Receivers of the Pike River Mine on the South Island of New Zealand lay off 114 workers following the closure of the mine after the Pike River Mine disaster.
- The New Zealand Royal Commission on the Pike River Mine disaster hears that a collapse in the coal extraction area was the most likely cause of the fatal blast in the mine on November 19, 2010 that claimed 29 lives.
- Volunteers are working to save the remaining live pilot whales beached at Farewell Spit on New Zealand's South Island. Project Jonah reports that 75 percent of the more than 400 stranded whales are dead.
- A 6.4 magnitude earthquake occurs near the town of Kaikoura on the South Island of New Zealand.
- Official alternative names are announced for the North Island and South Island of New Zealand with Te Ika-a-Maui and Te Waipounamu as the respective Maori language names.