The United Kingdom experiences its earliest widespread snowfall for 17 years, with large parts of Scotland and north east England particularly affected.
The Met Office issues warnings of heavy snow and icy roads as the earliest widespread wintry conditions for 17 years grip much of the UK.
- A report reveals that 2017 saw over ten thousand new businesses in the technology sector throughout the United Kingdom, with all areas seeing growth over 2016. Scotland saw a 77% increase with 440 new firms.
- The Met Office issues its highest level warning, a red alert for parts of Scotland due to heavy snow. It is the first time a red alert has ever been issued in Scotland, and only the second time anywhere in the United Kingdom.
- Mount Hope, in a disputed region of Antarctica, is found to be the highest mountain in territory claimed by the United Kingdom. Ben Nevis in Scotland is the highest mountain in the United Kingdom.
- Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon announces she will seek a second referendum on Scottish independence from the United Kingdom.
- The Met Office issues travel warnings for parts of Wales, Scotland and England as Storm Doris, described as a "weather bomb", brings gales, heavy rain and snow to the United Kingdom. At least one person is killed.