Brazilian police begin an operation in a shanty town in Rio de Janeiro to end a surge of violence; at least 30 people have been killed in recent days.
Brazilian police say they have regained control of the Vila Cruzeiro shanty town in Rio de Janeiro, as part of operations to tackle a wave of gang violence.
- BBC (Image)
- Seven bodies are recovered from the base of Sugarloaf Mountain in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Brazilian politician and outspoken police critic Marielle Franco is killed along with her driver in a drive-by shooting in Rio de Janeiro.
- Fifteen people are injured and an infant is killed after a car hits a group of pedestrians near Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The police report that the driver had an epileptic seizure.
- More than 150 prominent scientists worldwide send a letter to World Health Organization Director-General Margaret Chan calling for the postponement or relocation of the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Summer Olympics because of the widening Zika virus outbreak in Brazil, despite U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Tom Frieden's statement yesterday that "there is no public health reason to cancel or delay the Olympics."
- At least two people are killed after an oceanfront stretch of an elevated bike lane in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, collapses when it was hit by a strong wave. Two other people were rescued alive, while another may be missing. The bike lane was among the projects built in preparation for the 2016 Summer Olympics. No Olympic event will be held on the path.