Workers in Portugal hold a general strike to protest against proposed cuts to wages.
- A heat boiler explodes at a community center in Vila Nova da Rainha, Tondela, Portugal, leaving at least eight people dead and thirty five injured.
- The Eurogroup selects Mario Centeno, Portugal's Minister of Finance, to succeed Jeroen Dijsselbloem as their next president.
- Twenty-three European Union countries sign a defence integration pact known as the Permanent Structured Cooperation. NATO members Denmark, Portugal and the United Kingdom (withdrawal from EU underway), and non-NATO members Malta and Ireland, opt out.
- Pro-independent trade unions, businesses, and schools in Catalonia hold a general strike to protest Spanish police brutality during the October 1 independence referendum.
- Wildfires in Spain and Portugal kill at least 31 people, which were worsened by strong winds brought by Hurricane Ophelia.