Brazilian police shoot dead at least thirteen people in Rio de Janeiro following a wave of violence by suspected drug traffickers.
Brazilian police have shot dead at least 13 more people in Rio de Janeiro as they try stop a wave of violence by suspected drug traffickers.
- American Olympic swimmers Ryan Lochte, Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen claim they were robbed at gunpoint in Rio de Janeiro by men posing as Brazilian police officers.
- Law enforcement in Brazil occupy Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro's biggest "favela" or slum, in a bid to clean the city ahead of the 2014 FIFA World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics.
- More than 2,000 Brazilian police and military personnel enter the AlemGBPo slum of Rio de Janeiro in search of drug traffickers, in efforts to boost security well ahead of the 2016 Olympic Games.
- Brazilian President Michel Temer deploys the Brazilian Army to the southeastern state of Espirito Santo, where a police strike has led to a wave of violence and looting, including dozens of murders in the state capital, Vitoria.
- Brazilian police enter the Alcacuz prison outside the city of Natal, Rio Grande do Norte, after a week of fighting leaves 26 inmates dead. At least 126 people have been killed in Brazil's prisons since the beginning of the year.