Blaise Compaor is re-elected as President of Burkina Faso following a presidential election with 81% of the vote.
- Times Live South Africa
- A trial at a court in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, opens to try former President Blaise Compaor and members of his cabinet in absentia. Burkina Faso accuses Compaor, who is in exile in the Ivory Coast, of ordering the killing of protesters during the uprising that ousted him in 2014.
- A terrorist attack at the French embassy and military headquarters in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, leaves 28 people dead and at least 50 others injured.
- Thirteen civilians travelling from Burkina Faso are killed after their vehicle struck a landmine near the village of Boni in Mali's Mopti Region.
- At least 17 people, including two Canadians, are reported dead and eight others injured in an attack on a Turkish themed restaurant in Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso.
- Burkina Faso and Swaziland refuse to break relations with Taiwan and recognize the One-China policy despite being offered aid from China.