Israel's parliament passes a bill requiring a special parliamentary majority or a referendum before Israel could relinquish the Golan Heights or east Jerusalem for a peace deal.
Israel's parliament passes a bill setting stringent new conditions before any withdrawal from the Golan Heights or East Jerusalem.
- BBC (Image)
- The Jerusalem Post
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu prohibits all members of the Knesset (MKs) from visiting the Jerusalem site revered by Jews as the Temple Mount, and by Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary, in an attempt to calm several days of violence in the Old City. The prohibition applies to both Jewish and Muslim parliamentarians.
- The Israeli Knesset voted on a referendum bill on the Gaza Disengagement plan. 72 MKs rejected, 39 voted for and 3 abstained.
- Jerusalem-Israel: Horst Kohler, President of Germany, has a special audience in the Knesset, the highest chamber of Israel. Speaking in German, he says that Germany has to fight more aggressively against anti-semitism and far-right parties.
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict: The Knesset approves Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's plan to withdraw 21 settlements from the Gaza Strip and 4 from the West Bank by next year. Israeli Finance Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and three other cabinet ministers from Sharon's ruling Likud government threaten to resign if a referendum over the plan will not be held.
- Paraguay announces that it will move its embassy in Israel from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv, reversing a May decision to move it from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, citing efforts to achieve peace in the Middle East. In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu orders the closure of Israel's embassy in Paraguay.