Canadian pop star Justin Bieber wins four awards at the American Music Awards.
Teen star Justin Bieber dominates the American Music Awards winning four prizes from four nominations - including artist of the year.
- NASA confirms that Scott Tilley, a Canadian amateur astronomer and satellite tracker, has rediscovered NASA's IMAGE (Imager for Magnetopause-to-Aurora Global Exploration) satellite while he was searching for the U.S. government's classified Zuma satellite. NASA engineers will try to analyze the data from the spacecraft to learn more about the state of the spacecraft.
- Joshua Boyle, a Canadian man recently rescued from a Taliban linked group, is arrested on 15 charges, including assault, sexual assault, and unlawful confinement.
- The United States will end the temporary protected status program (TPS) for more than 300,000 refugees from El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Many of the refugees have already left for Canada, where it is easier to get asylum.
- Canada's left-leaning New Democratic Party elects Jagmeet Singh its leader.
- Winston Blackmore and James Oler, leaders of a polygamist Mormon sect in Canada, are convicted.