Yemen charges militant Islamic cleric Anwar al-Awlaki with incitement to kill foreigners.
- A judge in Yemen orders the capture of militant Islamic cleric Anwar al-Awlaki to face charges of "forming an armed gang".
- Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula leader and U.S. citizen Anwar al-Awlaki is reported killed in Yemen.
- Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh scraps an offer to resign by the end of this year, as Islamist militants take control of a town in the south of the country.
- Anwar al-Awlaki, a Yemeni cleric affiliated with al-Queda, tells Muslims in a new video posting that they are free to kill American at will, in retaliation for the killing of civilians in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere.
- A UN-brokered ceasefire is agreed upon between the two warring factions in Al Hudaydah, Yemen. Troops from both sides will withdraw from the port city within three weeks to allow humanitarian aid coming into the country, which has been plagued by war and famine.