- President of Venezuela Hugo Chávez announces that he has agreed to meet President of Colombia Juan Manuel Santos tomorrow for talks to end strained relations between the two countries.
- Venezuela and Colombia re-establish diplomatic relations after a meeting between recently inaugurated President of Colombia Juan Manuel Santos and Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez in Santa Marta, Colombia, mediated by UNASUR Secretary General Néstor Kirchner.
- New President of Colombia Juan Manuel Santos and President of Venezuela Hugo Chávez agree to meet for talks on Tuesday, following a recent diplomatic disagreement.
- Venezuela's Hugo Chávez promises that his foreign minister will attend the inauguration of Juan Manuel Santos as Colombian president, two weeks after direct relations between the two countries were broken off, thanks to mediation efforts by President of Brazil Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.
- Colombian President Álvaro Uribe and Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez almost come to blows at the Rio Group summit in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, with Uribe taunting Chávez "Be a man! … you're a coward face-to-face! Stay and argue face-to-face!" and Chávez responding with a simple "Go to Hell!"