Japan temporarily recalls its ambassador to Russia amid a dispute over a visit by President Dmitry Medvedev to the Kuril Islands.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev is said to be planning to visit more of the disputed Kuril Islands, despite growing anger from Japan.
- RIA Novosti
- The President of Russia Dmitry Medvedev visits Kunashiri, one of the southern Kuril Islands that are the subject of the Kuril Islands dispute between Russia and Japan.
- Russia announces it will deploy state-of-the art missile defense systems to the far eastern Kuril Islands where they and Japan have rival territorial claims dating to the end of the Second World War. Russian Defence Minister Sergey Shoygu also says that Russia will form new defence units in the country's Western Military District in response to NATO's recent deployment of forces to member states near its border.
- Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu announces Russia plans to build a new military base on the Kuril Islands, a group of Pacific islands it seized from Japan at the end of World War II.
- The Prime Minister of Russia Dmitry Medvedev visits the disputed Kuril Islands prompting a protest from Japan.
- The leaders of Russia and Japan are to meet to discuss the disputed Kuril Islands.