Fudan University releases the results of a survey that shows that 72.6% of Shanghai residents visited Shanghai Expo, an average of 2.31 times per resident.
- Shanghai Daily
- United Arab Emirates pavilion in Shanghai wins National Council of Structural Engineers Associations (NCSEA) Excellence Award in Structural Engineering at Shanghai Expo 2010.
- Hailed as the largest World's Fair in history, Expo 2010 opens in Shanghai, China.
- The National Iranian Tanker Company-operated Sanchi sinks, following its January 6 collision with a Hong Kong-flagged cargo ship off Shanghai, China, leaving no survivors.
- China's state-run "Global Times" newspaper reports the launching of the first Type 055 destroyer, a 10,000-ton "new generation" warship, at the Jiangnan Shipyard in Shanghai.
- Air Canada Flight 88, a scheduled flight from Shanghai to Toronto, diverts to Calgary International Airport after the aircraft, a Boeing 777, encountered violent turbulence. Twenty-one passengers, including three children, were taken to hospital.