Federal district judge
United States federal judge William Terrell Hodges orders actor Wesley Snipes to surrender to authorities so that he can start a three year sentence for tax-related crimes.
- AP via ''Huffington Post
- Because the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) routinely failed to notify screened immigrant asylum-seekers of the one-year deadline for filing an actual asylum application, Western Washington state chief federal district judge Ricardo S. Martinez orders DHS to give those who missed the deadline another year to file their application, and to modify the DHS asylum system to avoid future problems.
- A Federal District Judge for Eastern Pennsylvania temporarily enjoins the Trump administration from implementing new rules that change the Obamacare contraceptive mandate. California, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Virginia and Washington have also sued the federal government over the rules.
- United States federal judge Richard Posner has announced his retirement after three decades of service on the bench of the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. Appointed by President Ronald Reagan in 1981, Justice Posner has written more than 3,300 opinions from the bench.
- Former Volkswagen engineer James Liang is sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Sean Cox to 40 months in prison and a $200,000 fine for his role in the decade-long scheme to cheat on federal emissions tests for diesel-powered cars sold in the United States. He is the first company employee sent to prison in the scandal.
- United States federal judge James Robart temporarily blocks the so-called travel ban nationwide pending a legal challenge by the government.