The U.S. military is sending M1 Abrams tanks to Afghanistan for the first time in the nine-year war in Afghanistan.
- AFP via Google
- The Washington Post
- 7 American soldiers are killed in fighting in Afghanistan over the weekend.
- United States President Barack Obama authorizes the deployment of 12,000 more soldiers into the Afghanistan War.
- The U.S. military warns that the Kabul Attack Network, comprised of fighters from various jihadist groups such as the Taliban and Haqqani networks, is planning attacks on people in the Parwan, Khost, Kabul, and Logar Provinces, Afghanistan, and asks for information from the Afghan public.
- The U.S. military disciplines more than a dozen personnel for mistakes that led to the bombing of a Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) hospital that killed 42 people in Afghanistan last October. No criminal charges are pending. The partially redacted investigation report is expected to be made public shortly.
- The Afghan government claims that Taliban leader Mohammad Omar died in April 2013 in Pakistan of natural causes.