United States armed forces
The U.S. military is sending M1 Abrams tanks to Afghanistan for the first time in the nine-year war in Afghanistan.
- AFP via Google
- The Washington Post
- 7 American soldiers are killed in fighting in Afghanistan over the weekend.
- A BBC study finds that, October 2017 lc=y, the Taliban presently maintains control of or has some territorial presence in 70% of Afghanistan, with full control of 14 districts (totaling 4% of the country) and demonstrating an open physical militant presence in 263 others (encompassing the remaining 66% of the group's occupied territory).
- A suicide bombing at a Shi'ite cultural center and news agency in Kabul, Afghanistan, kills 41 people and injures 84 others. ISIL-affiliated Amaq News Agency says this group is responsible.
- A suicide bombing in Afghanistan's capital Kabul kills at least 8 civilians and leaves numerous wounded. The Islamic State claims responsibility.
- The Afghan government claims that Taliban leader Mohammad Omar died in April 2013 in Pakistan of natural causes.