United States armed forces
The U.S. military is sending M1 Abrams tanks to Afghanistan for the first time in the nine-year war in Afghanistan.
- AFP via Google
- The Washington Post
- 7 American soldiers are killed in fighting in Afghanistan over the weekend.
- A car bomb targeting a military base in the Nadali District of Helmand, Afghanistan, kills six including two soldiers.
- The Taliban destroy an electricity pylon in Doshe, Baghlan, Afghanistan, overnight. The pylon carries imported power from Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, and its destruction causes widespread blackouts across several provinces and in capital Kabul.
- Two suicide bombers strike a Shi'ite mosque in Herat, Afghanistan, killing one person and wounding seven others. Security forces kill one bomber while the device kills the other. ISIL claims responsibility.
- A suicide car bomber kills one person and injures fourteen others near the Australian embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan.