The U.S. military is sending M1 Abrams tanks to Afghanistan for the first time in the nine-year war in Afghanistan.
- AFP via Google
- The Washington Post (Image)
- 7 American soldiers are killed in fighting in Afghanistan over the weekend.
- A senior Taliban commander, Mullah Abdul Manan Akhund, is killed in a U.S. air strike in Afghanistan.
- A series of U.S. airstrikes kills at least 30 Afghan civilians, including 16 children, in Garmsir District, Helmand Province. Additional civilians were left wounded or buried in the rubble. The target of the strikes was a suspected Taliban compound. The United States' strategy aims to push the Taliban into talks.
- Three U.S. troops are killed and three others are wounded in an IED blast near Ghazni, Afghanistan.
- At least 26 Afghan security forces are killed and 50 are wounded by a suicide blast in a mosque inside an army base in Khost Province, Afghanistan.