Panama grants asylum to a former head of Colombia's secret police wanted in connection with illegal wiretapping operations.
- BBC (Image)
- Floods across South America: Panama experiences its heaviest ever rains, with the Panama Canal shut for the first time due to weather. Millions of people are affected across the region, and there are deaths, including in Colombia and Venezuela.
- After an emergency summit, eleven nations of Latin America (including Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador, and Peru) announce that they will all admit Venezuelan migrants without the required travel documents.
- Colombia is preparing to declare an economic and social emergency in the region of La Guajira, which borders Venezuela.
- Italian police seize 20 tonnes of hashish in a Panama-flagged, Montenegrin-crewed "research and survey" vessel's fuel tanks.
- The United States pledges US$9 million in aid to Colombia to help support Venezuelan migrants in the country.