Nato members meet in Lisbon for a crucial summit, with a timetable for handing security to Afghan forces topping the agenda.
- BBC (Image)
- NATO summit: NATO members meet in Lisbon, Portugal, to discuss progress in the War in Afghanistan and relations with Russia.
- NATO members meet in Lisbon, Portugal, to discuss progress in the War in Afghanistan and relations with Russia.
- The United States Navy re-establishes the United States Second Fleet, which was disbanded in 2011, citing recent heightened tensions between NATO and Russia.
- Israeli singer Netta Barzilai wins the Eurovision Song Contest in Lisbon, Portugal, with her song Toy. This is Israel's first Eurovision win in the 21st century and fourth overall.
- NATO and the government of Australia expel Russian diplomats.
- Twenty-three European Union countries sign a defence integration pact known as the Permanent Structured Cooperation. NATO members Denmark, Portugal and the United Kingdom (withdrawal from EU underway), and non-NATO members Malta and Ireland, opt out.
- The United States Senate passed by an overwhelming majority a bill ramping-up sanctions against Russia and against Iran. Language in the measure also reaffirms United States' commitment to NATO.