Hundreds of people demonstrate in Malawi against a pension bill that would raise the retirement age of women to 55, and 60 for men.
- African Press Agency
- The government of Malawi declares a state of emergency across the country over worsening food shortages caused by a severe drought that is affecting much of Southern Africa with about 2.8 million Malawians, or 20% of the population, facing food insecurity.
- Indonesia executes six people for drug trafficking including foreign citizens from Brazil, Malawi, the Netherlands, Nigeria, and Vietnam. Brazil and the Netherlands withdraw their ambassadors in protest.
- Flash flooding continues since January 14 in the African nation of Malawi with at least 176 people killed and 110,000 displaced.
- Floods devastate Mozambique and Malawi, with at least 73 deaths and over 70,000 homeless.
- Voters in Malawi go to the polls for a general election.