Germany says the laptop bag containing an explosive simulation training device found at Namibia's main airport during loading of a flight to Munich was part of a security test, a day after German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere issued a warning of possible terror attacks next week.
A dummy bomb that sparked an international terror alert was made by an 80-year-old Calif. grandmother and was discarded in an Namibia airport because of "a boo boo," NBC reported.
- MSNBC (Image)
- Reuters (Image)
- Police discover a detonator, batteries and a ticking clock in Namibia's Windhoek Airport apparently due to be loaded on an aircraft bound for Munich, Germany.
- A shooting occurs at a local train station in the Unterfohring suburb of Munich, Germany. The assailant shot a police officer in the head; she is in critical condition. Backup police engaged in a shootout where the suspect and two bystanders were injured. Police do not believe this is a terrorist attack.
- Ten people, including the gunman, are killed and 21 wounded in a shooting in and around the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum shopping mall in the Moosach district of Munich, Germany, next to the Olympic stadium.
- One person is killed and several others injured in a knife attack at the Grafing station, a station of the Munich S-Bahn system in Germany.
- German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere strongly criticizes Austria's decision to put a daily cap on the number of refugees the country can accept. Austria has set a limit of dealing with 80 asylum applications a day, while letting thousands of others transit to Germany. Maiziere said this sends "the wrong signal" and is "unacceptable".