The Nobel Committee says the Nobel Peace Prize for Liu Xiaobo may not be handed out this year as China will not allow anyone from his family to attend the event.
The presentation in Oslo next month will most likely be postponed because China is not allowing the dissident Liu Xiaobo or his family to attend.
- Al Jazeera
- Sify India
- The New York Times
- Prominent Chinese dissident and Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo dies.
- Chinese political activist and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Liu Xiaobo is released from prison on medical parole after being diagnosed with terminal liver cancer.
- The Nobel Committee awards the global civil society coalition of The International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons the Nobel Peace Prize "for its work to draw attention to the catastrophic humanitarian consequences of any use of nuclear weapons and for its ground-breaking efforts to achieve a treaty-based prohibition of such weapons".
- Nobel Peace Laureate Liu Xiaobo, who has been incarcerated in China for organizing the pro-democracy manifesto "Charter 08," is suffering from late-stage liver cancer which is worsening. The Chinese hospital treating him and foreign doctors, who examined Liu the weekend, disagree on future treatment. Germany, the United States, UK, and other countries have appealed that Liu be allowed to go to the hospital of his choice.
- The Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo is in "critical condition," according to Chinese doctors.