The Leonid meteor shower was visible across much of the US early this morning.
- USA Today
- Chelyabinsk meteor: A meteor breaks up in the vicinity of the city of Chelyabinsk, Russia. More than 1,200 people are injured, two of them seriously, from the shattering of windows caused by the shockwaves and the debris.
- A rare sighting of a meteor fireball is seen over large parts of the United Kingdom.
- The Perseid meteor shower reaches its peak with a display of up to 80 meteors an hour.
- A large crater, dubbed the "Fried Egg" because of its shape, is discovered off the coast of The Azores in the Atlantic Ocean, prompting speculation that it may have been caused up to 17 million years ago by meteor impact.
- A meteor exploded over the midwest, showering Park Forest, Illinois, with dozens of meteorite fragments.