Nearly 200 prisoners in the Democratic Republic of the Congo escape from a jail in the northwest of the country.
An estimated 200 prisoners in DR Congo escape from a jail in the remote north-west during a hearing to reduce the backlog of defendants awaiting trial.
- Suspected Allied Democratic Forces militants in North Kivu, DR Congo, kill at least 15 United Nations peacekeepers, mostly Tanzanian, and five Congolese soldiers, and wound 53 other people. An unknown number of the rebels are killed. Over 90 peacekeepers have been killed since the mission started in 1999.
- A military transport plane crashes after take-off from N'djili Airport in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, killing all 12 Russian crew members.
- A landslide in a village along Lake Albert in the Democratic Republic of the Congo leaves at least 60 dead.
- Bundu dia Kongo followers free their leader and 50 other inmates with an attack on the Makala jail of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- At least 17 new mass graves are discovered by United Nations investigators in Kasai-Central, Democratic Republic of the Congo, mostly around the town of Tshimbulu.