Senator Lisa Murkowski wins the Alaska senate election becoming the first successful write-in candidate to be elected since 1954.
- The United States Senate rejects "repeal only" propositions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. United States President Donald Trump lashes out at Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski, who voted against the proposal.
- Governor Frank H. Murkowski of Alaska announced that he had chosen his daughter, state Representative and House Majority Leader Lisa Murkowski, to succeed him in the United States Senate. The elder Murkowski, in winning the recent election as governor, was forced to leave his Senate position.
- The United States Senate, in a 92-5 vote, confirms Christopher A. Wray as Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- The American Health Care Act of 2017, an attempt to repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, fails passage in the United States Senate.
- The U.S. Senate votes to open debate on repealing and possibly replacing Obamacare.