The President of the United States Barack Obama presents a Medal of Honor, the highest United States military decoration to Staff Sgt Salvatore Giunta at the White House.
- United States federal government shutdown of 2013:U.S. President Barack Obama, the White House Office of Management and Budget, issues a partial shutdown of government agencies after the House and Senate fail to come to an agreement on a spending bill to keep government operations running.
- Shinzo Abe, the Prime Minister of Japan, meets with the President of the United States Barack Obama at the White House to discuss trade, economic, and security issues including North Korea and the Senkaku Islands dispute with China.
- Middle East:President of the United States Barack Obama meets President of the Palestinian National Authority Mahmoud Abbas at the White House in Washington, D.C., United States and promises Palestinians $400 million in US assistance for the West Bank and Gaza.
- President of the United States Barack Obama meets Taoiseach Brian Cowen at the White House in Washington, D.C., United States.
- U.S. President Barack Obama arranged a meeting with police officer Sgt. James Crowley and African American public intellectual Henry Louis Gates at the White House in a bid to quell a dispute over racial profiling that arose from an altercation between the two of them.
- United States President Barack Obama and United Kingdom Prime Minister Gordon Brown meet at the White House.
- Saint Patrick's Day: United States President Barack Obama meets Irish Taoiseach Brian Cowen and Northern Irish First Minister Peter Robinson and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness at the White House.
- Plans for a Chicago-based presidential library in honour of the former U.S. President Obama are revealed.
- President-elect of the United States Donald Trump meets with President Barack Obama for the first time at the White House.
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte tells U.S. President Barack Obama to "go to hell" after the United States refuses to sell some weapons to his country, while also acknowledging the cooperation of Russia and China.