Worst epidemic of cholera
The death toll from the 2010 Haiti cholera outbreak passes 1,000. At least one man is shot dead by United Nations peacekeepers after allegedly opening fire on the peacekeepers.
Health officials in Haiti say more than 1,000 people have died from cholera, as the outbreak spreads there.
- French epidemiologist Renaud Piarroux, working on behalf of the French and Haitian governments, points to "strong evidence" linking United Nations peacekeepers to Haiti's cholera outbreak.
- The United Nations warns that the Haitian cholera epidemic could get worse.
- The United Nations and Pan American Health Organization estimate that the number of cases in the 2010 Haiti cholera outbreak could reach more than 200,000 in the next three months.
- The United Nations appeals for nearly $164 million to fund the battle against Haiti's outbreak of cholera as hospitals overflow and space and time run out.
- Poland takes over the rotating Presidency of the United Nations Security Council.