- Al Jazeera (Image)
- Fire destroys a high-rise apartment building in Shanghai, China, killing at least 42 people, injuring more than 90 and forcing some residents to jump from windows to escape.
- Five bodies are recovered from MV "Shunqiang 2", which sank the day before after colliding with another ship near Shanghai.
- MV "Shunqiang 2" collides with another ship off Shanghai, causing thirteen to fall overboard and the ship to sink. Search and rescue operations commence for the missing seafarers.
- The National Iranian Tanker Company-operated Sanchi sinks, following its January 6 collision with a Hong Kong-flagged cargo ship off Shanghai, China, leaving no survivors.
- China's state-run "Global Times" newspaper reports the launching of the first Type 055 destroyer, a 10,000-ton "new generation" warship, at the Jiangnan Shipyard in Shanghai.