Authorities in Shanghai arrest four people for unlicensed welding following the 2010 Shanghai fire.
- Al Jazeera
- Fire destroys a high-rise apartment building in Shanghai, China, killing at least 42 people, injuring more than 90 and forcing some residents to jump from windows to escape.
- The National Iranian Tanker Company-operated Sanchi sinks, following its January 6 collision with a Hong Kong-flagged cargo ship off Shanghai, China, leaving no survivors.
- China's state-run "Global Times" newspaper reports the launching of the first Type 055 destroyer, a 10,000-ton "new generation" warship, at the Jiangnan Shipyard in Shanghai.
- Air Canada Flight 88, a scheduled flight from Shanghai to Toronto, diverts to Calgary International Airport after the aircraft, a Boeing 777, encountered violent turbulence. Twenty-one passengers, including three children, were taken to hospital.
- The Stethem visits Shanghai, signaling that relations between the two countries continue despite tensions over the recent Lassen 6 cruise near artificial islands constructed by China. The navies of the two nations plan combined maritime exercise as well.