US diplomat Richard Holbrooke says the US has a transition plan for Afghanistan, not an exit strategy, and that there will be some drawdown of American troops in Afghanistan next year but the U.S. combat mission will not end there until 2014.
- CP via Google
- A suicide bomber kills 13 people and injures more than 30 others at an election rally in Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan.
- Seven people, including two British tourists, are wounded in a knife attack in the 19th arrondissement of Paris. The attacker, said to be an Afghan national, is arrested by police.
- Taliban insurgents attacked a checkpoint in the western province of Afghanistan of Herat killing 9 and injuring 6 the militants suffered 10 losses as well.
- At least 15 people are killed and 25 others wounded when a passenger bus collides with a truck in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
- U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis makes an unannounced visit to Afghanistan, to attempt to discuss peace with the Taliban, which has declined such talks with the Afghan government.