2010 Shanghai fire
Fire destroys a high-rise apartment building in Shanghai, China, killing at least 42 people, injuring more than 90 and forcing some residents to jump from windows to escape.
Chinese state media report that unlicensed welders accidentally started a fire in a high-rise apartment building in Shanghai that has so far left 53 dead.
- Los Angeles Times
- Shanghai Daily
- The National Iranian Tanker Company-operated Sanchi sinks, following its January 6 collision with a Hong Kong-flagged cargo ship off Shanghai, China, leaving no survivors.
- China's state-run "Global Times" newspaper reports the launching of the first Type 055 destroyer, a 10,000-ton "new generation" warship, at the Jiangnan Shipyard in Shanghai.
- The Stethem visits Shanghai, signaling that relations between the two countries continue despite tensions over the recent Lassen 6 cruise near artificial islands constructed by China. The navies of the two nations plan combined maritime exercise as well.
- China is dealing with two typhoons in a week. Typhoon Linfa lost power after making landfall in southern China's Guangdong province Thursday. Typhoon Chan-hom (Falcon) is headed for landfall in eastern China near Shanghai this weekend.
- Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard, on a trip to Shanghai, China, announces that the Australian dollar is set to trade directly with the Chinese yuan, becoming the third currency to do so.