Organization of American States
The Organization of American States urges Nicaragua and Costa Rica to withdraw their security forces from an island in the San Juan river. Google is blamed for the dispute and revises its maps.
The Organisation of American States urges Nicaragua and Costa Rica to withdraw their security forces from a disputed border region.
- South Korea signs free trade agreements with the Central American countries of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama to eliminate duties on about 95% of traded goods and services.
- In Nicaragua, flooding from Tropical Storm Nate, kills at least fifteen people. In Costa Rica, the storm kills at least seven people with fifteen missing.
- Nicaragua deploys its military to help close its southern border in a dispute with Costa Rica over the passage of Cuban migrants on their way to the United States. Nicaragua's government said Costa Rica's decision to grant seven-day transit visas to 1,200 Cuban migrants who entered the country through Panama, "violated national sovereignty". Nicaraguan troops and riot police fired tear gas at people attempting to enter in what Costa Rica called a "humanitarian crisis".
- A 7.6-magnitude earthquake 87 miles west of the Costa Rican capital of San Jos triggers a tsunami alert for the coastlines of Costa Rica, Panama and Nicaragua.
- A 7.4 magnitude earthquake occurs in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of El Salvador with tsunami warnings in place for Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Panama and Mexico.