The Israeli cabinet approves a plan to allow 8,000 Ethiopians of Jewish descent into the country.
Israel's cabinet approves a scheme to allow into the country nearly 8,000 Falash Mura, Ethiopians of Jewish descent.
- BBC (Image)
- The Cabinet of Israel decides to legalize a previously unauthorized outpost "deep inside the [occupied] West Bank", Havat Gilad, allegedly in reaction to the recent killing of an Israeli rabbi there.
- Ovadia Yosef, a senior rabbi from Shas, a party within Israel's coalition government, calls for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to "vanish from our world". The United States condemns the remarks as "deeply offensive".
- Raleb Majadele is appointed minister of science and technology, becoming the first Israeli Arab Muslim to serve as a cabinet minister in the government of Israel.
- Avigdor Liberman signs a coalitionary agreement with Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to join the cabinet as Minister for Strategic Affairs, a new position.
- In Israel, a new Cabinet under Prime Minister Ehud Olmert is sworn in.