The trial of the alleged killer of Chandra Levy, Ingmar Guandique of El Salvador, begins in Washington D.C.
- AP via ''USA Today
- It was reported that Ingmar Guandique, an illegal immigrant from El Salvador, was to go on trial Monday for Chandra Levy's 2001 killing.
- Mexican federal police and migration agents find 136 migrants in a locked truck abandoned near a freeway in Veracruz. Without water or food, the people from the countries of Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua, including dozens of minors, were "en route" to the United States.
- South Korea signs free trade agreements with the Central American countries of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama to eliminate duties on about 95% of traded goods and services.
- The Trump administration will, in 18 months, end the Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for immigrants from El Salvador living in the U.S. under the TPS issued after a series of devastating earthquakes in 2001. The Department of Homeland Security estimates about 200,000 Salvadorans will be impacted.
- The United States will end the temporary protected status program (TPS) for more than 300,000 refugees from El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Many of the refugees have already left for Canada, where it is easier to get asylum.