Afghan police set up extra security checkpoints across Afghanistan to prepare for Taliban attacks on voting in the parliamentary election on Saturday.
- AP via Google News
- The Taliban kidnaps 18 election officials and campaign workers for the Afghan parliamentary election in Badghis Province, Afghanistan.
- Afghan general and Kandahar police chief Abdul Raziq Achakzai is assassinated by one of his bodyguards during a high-level meeting inside the governor's compound with U.S. general Austin S. Miller. Gen. Miller escaped unharmed according to officials while the governor was critically injured. The Taliban claims responsibility.
- Taliban insurgents attacked a checkpoint in the western province of Afghanistan of Herat killing 9 and injuring 6 the militants suffered 10 losses as well.
- U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis makes an unannounced visit to Afghanistan, to attempt to discuss peace with the Taliban, which has declined such talks with the Afghan government.
- Caitlan Coleman, an American woman kidnapped and held hostage for five years in Afghanistan, accused her husband Joshua Boyle physically and emotionally abusing her while the family was being held by Taliban-linked militants.