Afghan police set up extra security checkpoints across Afghanistan to prepare for Taliban attacks on voting in the parliamentary election on Saturday.
- AP via Google News
- The Taliban kidnaps 18 election officials and campaign workers for the Afghan parliamentary election in Badghis Province, Afghanistan.
- Russia and Tajikistan begin joint military exercises near the Afghan-Tajik border to deter potential Taliban attacks.
- The Taliban announce a three-day Eid ceasefire with the Afghan authorities, according to Pajhwok Afghan News. On Thursday, President Ashraf Ghani announced a ceasefire with the Taliban from June 12-19.
- UK citizen Khalid Ali is found guilty at the Old Bailey in London of plotting a terror attack after he was found with knives in the city, and of building and detonating bombs for the Taliban in Afghanistan. He was detained within metres of Parliament, and wished to murder MPs and police officers.
- Eight suicide bombers attack two police stations in Kabul, Afghanistan, killing five people and injuring 16. ISIL claim one attack and the Taliban claim the other.