A Turkish ship is hijacked by Somali pirates more than 1,000 miles away from the coast of Somalia and closer to India.
- Reporters Without Borders releases their annual report regarding press freedom around the world with 71 journalists killed in 2013 so far. The deadliest countries are Syria, India, the Philippines, Pakistan, and Somalia while the worst jailers are China, Turkey, Eritrea, Iran, and Syria.
- Somali pirates release the Indian cargo ship "Al Rafiquei" one day after hijacking it.
- Somali pirates hijack the Indian cargo ship "Al Rafiquei".
- Somali pirates hijack an Indian cargo ship off the coast of Puntland.
- Seven Indian sailors are released by pirates after 4 years of captivity.