A rural community in the Eastern Cape in South Africa lays claim to the entire town of Mthatha in one of the biggest land restitution cases since the end of apartheid.
- Sky News
- King Khoebaha Calvin Cornelius III declares independence from South Africa to form the "Sovereign State of Good Hope", encompassing the states of Northern Cape, Western Cape, and the western parts of Eastern Cape. The state raised their own flag after taking down the South African flag.
- A bus traveling between Butterworth and Willovale in the Eastern Cape, South Africa, drives off a cliff killing thirty-five people.
- A Shosholoza Meyl passenger train collides head-on with a goods train in Eastern Cape, South Africa, killing two people and injuring 20.
- Justice Minister Michael Masutha paroles South African apartheid-era death squad commander Eugene de Kock, nicknamed "Prime Evil", after having served 20 years for killing activists.
- New Zealand and South Africa's rugby unions make "landmark apologies" for excluding Maori and black players from their teams during the apartheid era.