The FBI arrests 30 officials and rabbis in the U.S. state of New Jersey as part of a public corruption and international money laundering probe called Operation Bid Rig. Authorities also search a synagogue and remove several boxes.
Arrests include Assemblyman Daniel Van Pelt, Hoboken Mayor Peter Cammarano, Secaucus Mayor Dennis Elwell and Jersey City Deputy Mayor Leona Beldini
- Newark Star-Ledger (Image)
- FBI and IRS agents arrests 44 people, including five rabbis, two New Jersey state legislators, and three mayors in Operation Bid Rig.
- Paul Manafort and Rick Gates surrender to the FBI after both are indicted on multiple charges stemming from the investigation into the Donald Trump presidential campaign's possible associations with the Russian government. The two men--who respectively served as manager and deputy manager of the campaign from March to August 2016--are being charged on twelve counts, which include conspiracy against the U.S., money laundering and failing to register as foreign agents.
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation launches an investigation of money laundering associated with the 1Malaysia Development Berhad sovereign wealth fund.
- The Justice Department unseals charges made in June against an alleged hacker for the North Korean government in connection with a series of cyber attacks, including the 2014 assaults on Sony Pictures. The Federal Bureau of Investigation accuses Park Jin Hyok of conspiring the hack on behalf of Reconnaissance General Bureau, the country's intelligence agency, and conspiring to commit wire fraud.
- The FBI reaches out to Deborah Ramirez, the second woman to publicly accuse Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct, as part of the investigations into allegations against Kavanaugh.