A report showing that sales of existing homes rose 3.6 percent in June and a flurry of positive earnings reports fueled the surge.
- The New York Times (Image)
- The Wall Street stock market sheds 4.6% of its value, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropping a record 1,175 points at close. At one point during the day, the benchmark index loses a record 1,579 points.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average reaches 26,000 points for the first time, after surpassing the 25,000-mark on January 4.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average rises above 21,000 points, reaching an all-time high.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average breaks 20,000 for the first time ever.
- Stock markets around the world fall as a result of fears about China's economy with the Dow Jones Industrial Average falling by 1000 points at the opening of trading on Wall Street. The Dow Jones Index closes down 588.40 points, or 3.6 percent.